Strategies for Victory
New Republic Destroyer Liberator attacks Imperial Star Destroyer Eradicator
Calamari Cruiser Vindicator attacks Victory Star Destroyer Tachyon
1) Focus on the Admiral - Your fleet commander is your Main Playing Character. Use him as such. In a fleet battle, he should be the main focus of your note. He should be the one relaying orders to your other ships, telling what ships to advance, which ones to withdraw, which ones to focus firepower on. His thoughts, his words, his actions will either inspire or demoralize the crew. The battle could be over before it even begins.
2) Use bridge officers - Again, your primary view is from the Admiral's perspective. He learns about the progress of the battle through his bridge officers. His second-in-command, usually the Captain of the flagship (like Pellaeon was to Thrawn), the communications officers, the tactical officers, the weapon specialist. Use them to give progress reports and updates from the rulings provided. Without the information they provide, your Admiral should not be able to lead the fleet effectively.
3) Switch to other Captains - Always remember, you are commander of a FLEET, not just a single ship. Use NPCs as your other ship captains from time-to-time in order to add to the story. After your Admiral issues his orders to the fleet, possibly switch to one of your other vessels; and, as that Captain viewing the battle from his own perspective, receive the order and give commands to his own ship. I would recommend using an occassional NPC Captain for anything larger than a VCSD/MC-80, and specialty ships like an interdictor or a carrier.
4) Use starfighters - Fighter attacks can make or break a fleet battle. A single squadron of starfighters can take out a heavy cruiser if written effectively. When writing a fleet battle, always ensure your fighters are doing something. Don't just 'launch all fighters'. Tell me what they are doing (as your Admiral) - anti-fighter screening, defensive stance, offensive assault, whatever. I recommend using at least one NPC fighter squadron during an assault. Take control of the squadron commander, fly through the heavy cruisers and pick at them like annoying gnats, take out incoming enemy fighters, the bonuses will show for it.
5) Know your stats - When engaging in a fleet battle, make sure you know all the strengths and weaknesses of each ship. Use the stats page, that's what it is there for. Although the battle will ultimately depend on your heavy cruisers, your smaller support ships are designed to complement and protect those ships. Utilize them. Study the stats provided, learn that Corellian Gunships and Lancers are anti-fighter vessels and are good to screen out incoming starfighter attacks. Use the ships in the manners they were intended, or come up with some unique uses for them. The better you utilize the smaller ships, the better your chances of coming out victorous.